Thursday, December 16, 2010

You better check yo self

I recently asked a friend about the term "you better check yourself."  Or as Ice Cube says "check yo self".  I thought it was a hockey term so went straight to a Canadian for clarification. I forget what he said, but it didn't seem to be sports related.

I  consulted  an expert panel of native English speakers who couldn't concur on the nature of this term. So I  weigh in as the final opinion and say it relates to assessing one's condition. It's like a physical/emotional status update. It's a quick mental sweep of where and how you are. Failure to do this regularly could lead to problems.

The conversation then naturally led to the phrase "you better check yourself before you wreck yourself." It really is solid advice. So I did and here are a few thoughts that came up.  Enjoy~

red flags that you may want to check your self.

you're using a hoveround as a car

you are an adult and riding on the handle bars of a bicycle

when asked "what do you do?" in a social setting, you answer "play online poker"
(This happened to me and prompted this post..moving on)

you are at the city dump but not to drop things off

you are wearing sweat pants but have not or will not work out today


these were pretty solids I thought. Can you think of anymore?

Coming up soon, an in depth interview with Canadude who will provide riveting insight into today's Canada.
We will discuss the conspiracy to keep poutine out of America among other pressing topics.

2 comments: