Monday, December 13, 2010

The Imaginary Cause

Some things don't change. I'm still working on a manuscript that has been done for six months and am obsessed to distraction with Nietzsche. Anyone taking a glimpse of my nightstand would beg me to go have some fun. I am not a dark person. But I can't move on to the next thing until I exhaust the current. And I am exhausted.

I did take a short hiatus with Hemingway but found him too grounded and reasonable. I need to examine myself using a high-powered lens.

So I find good reason and comfort in editing a comma for the tenth time and changing a word back and forth until the sentence is distorted. I started with an idea, it became a manuscript, then a dream and now a headache. I fear the unknown and now satisfying this persistent feeling to move by running in place.

I asked what to do once when you have read all his books and all the books about his books. Well the answer is reread them of course. Makes perfect sense in my rabbit hole.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely....more please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole, where are you? Is this the same Nicole?

    Babe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Hemmingway for the realistic pacing of his stories, it can drag at times when a character sits around for a week doing nothing but being lazy, but in reality people do that, they aren't all action all the time.

    I think I mentioned this to you before, but one thing I always admire Stephen King for is his ability to write dialog that is realistic. His premise and stories may be completely surreal, but for developing characters strictly through realistic and revealing internal and external dialog he really is gifted. I find it distracting when books kick off on this whole narrated character introduction sequence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no no no..I find it challenging, thought provoking and interesting. I don't agree with all of his ideas. The newspaper is much more depressing to me.

    ReplyDelete