Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Beer and Egos

I recently told a friend, my novel in progress is the funniest I have  read.  He commented on my ego, but I stand by it.  It should be really.  I wrote it for myself.  The characters are flawed and the plot messy. Just like life.  And life is funny.

Hemingway said "A man's got to take a lot of punishment to write a really funny book."  He should know and I agree.  I know life can be hard and cruel.  And impossibly unfair for some.  It's much easier to find humor in other's misfortune than our own.  I sometimes laugh when others fall down, before I know they are alright.  I feel bad about that a little.

But I have learned to laugh at myself as well.  Sometimes hopeless situations can't be changed, but are funny over a beer.  Things didn't end so well for Hemingway.  Maybe he laughed too little or drank too much.  That part I don't know.

I do know that my novel is funny and real.  It is imperfect and brilliant in it's own way.  Just like me.  Just like life.  My friend will think this entry is funny ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment